One of the most common questions I am asked by clients, aside from how much is this going to cost, is am I eligible to get divorced in New York State.
New York law (NY Dom Rel Law §230) is a little tricky when it comes to its residency requirements. I have simplified the law below.
You may file for divorce in New York State if:
- Either you or your spouse has lived in New York state for at least two (2) years immediately leading up to the date you file for divorce OR
- Either you or your spouse has lived in New York for at least one (1) year immediately leading up to the date you file for divorce AND:
- your marriage took place in New York, or
- you and your spouse lived in New York during your marriage, or
- the cause for the “grounds” for the divorce occurred in New York OR
- Both you and your spouse live in New York at the time you file for divorce and the cause for the divorce occurred in New York.
Therefore, if you meet the above residency requirements then you may get divorced in New York State. Our law office offers free, no obligation, divorce consultations. Contact us at (866) 830-2064 to claim your free consultation today…