Collaborative Divorce NY
What is Collaborative Divorce NY?
In a NY collaborative divorce, lawyers, parties and outside experts work together to reach an amicable settlement and keep their case from devolving into costly and often unnecessary litigation.
In a collaborative divorce, you retain your privacy, work together to find solutions to your unique circumstances and have the support of your attorneys (and sometimes an entire team) to end your marriage in the best way possible.
Divorce can be devastating, but it doesn’t have to be. Traditional divorce litigation is expensive, time consuming and often enriches litigation attorneys in the end. We have all heard or witnessed divorce horror stories, but, again, it doesn’t have to be this way.
If you and your spouse are interested in handling your divorce in a more evolved way, contact our top rated NY collaborative divorce attorneys for a free consultation by calling (866) 830-2064 now to learn about the collaborative divorce process and how we can help you resolve your divorce without the need for contentious litigation.
In a collaborative divorce, you and your spouse agree that you want to resolve your differences without court intervention, and without threatening litigation. It is a modern technique of handling divorce dispute resolution and is oriented towards working out the issues relevant to your divorce in a collaborative, or synergistic, manner.
NY collaborative divorce lawyers enter into a special retainer agreement in which they agree to seek to resolve the matter in a good faith manner without litigation or the threat of litigation. If the collaborative process fails, then we, the collaborative attorneys, would refer you to litigation counsel.
What are the Benefits of Collaborative Divorce?
The benefit of a NY collaborative divorce is that it empowers you and your spouse, as a couple to separate and end your marriage:
- outside of court which affords you privacy, control and the avoidance of the uncertain and often daunting court process
- in a way that facilitates communication, problem solving and collaboration, all which are in your best interest, especially if their are children involved
- in a manner that achieves a fair and equitable result
- in a far more cost effective and time efficient manner than the alternative of contentious divorce litigation
- in a more amicable manner that keep you and your children shielded from the contentious divorce litigation process
- in a way that results in settlement agreements that are often better drafted, as the parties have been active participants in its creation, and agreements are statistically adhered to more than agreements reached in other forms of divorce.
Am I a Candidate?
In order to be a candidate for NY collaborative divorce, you and your spouse have to voluntarily be willing to handle your divorce in a collaborative manner, which means you have to be willing to openly and honestly address your issues with the help of a team of attorneys, experts, and therapists.
If you believe your spouse is hiding assets, is secretive about their income or assets or there has been domestic violence, then you’re likely not a candidate for the collaborative process. If your relationship is adversarial, then collaborative divorce may not be the best option for you. In that event, we can still help you through contested divorce representation, or potentially in a non-litigation or cooperative manner which is also aimed at keeping the matter out of court.
If you think you’re a candidate for collaborative divorce and want to learn more, give us a call at (866) 830-2064. Even if collaborative divorce is not for you, we can still assist you using other divorce processes.