Can I Get a Divorce if I Don’t Know Where My Spouse is Located?

Yes, is the short answer.

New York law requires that your spouse be put on notice, meaning be made aware of, that a divorce action is pending against them.

This can be achieved by legal service of process which is just a fancy way of saying that we gave your spouse a Summons with Notice in a way that is recognized as valid by the courts.

If you don’t know where your spouse is located then service of process to give your spouse notice becomes an issue.  You would be surprised how many people have this problem too.  They don’t know where their spouse is.  It makes sense.  Many times people lose touch and move on.

So if this is your problem, then yes you have a serious issue to work with but we can help.  We offer investigation services where we can do a statewide, nationwide or global search for your spouse.  We search public records to pinpoint his or her location.

Once we find them, we can have them served by a third party process server.  This takes care of the legal service of process to give them notice of the divorce.

If we can’t find them then you have the option of having us file a Publication Divorce.  This should be your last resort because it’s a more costly and time consuming process.  Basically we go to the court and explain the situation regarding your missing spouse.  The court proscribes how often and in what newspaper we have to publish an notice regarding the divorce.  Once this process is completed we can file for divorce.

If you don’t know where your spouse is, you have options.  Please call us at (866) 830-2064 to schedule your free consultation with a New York divorce lawyer.  We can help you find your spouse and finally get the divorce you want and need.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *