Negotiating favorable divorce settlements is an art form. It takes a high degree of skill and experience to perfect. A lawyer entering a divorce negotiation not only needs to have a mastery of the law but needs to be skilled in the art of negotiation. Hiring the right attorney to represent you through divorce negotiations can potentially save you thousands of dollars in your divorce.
A good negotiator can negotiate directly with your spouse if he or she has not yet retained an attorney. If your spouse has hired an attorney, then you definitely want to have an attorney of your own to negotiate directly with the opposing attorney. Remember, your spouse’s lawyer represents them not you. They have their vest interest in mind, not yours. Don’t fall for a smooth lawyer who claims that he or she has your best interest in mind too. This is not only a lie, but is unethical…
Having a divorce lawyer on your side during any negotiation process is a plus. An attorney can be persuasive and achieve results that you didn’t even know were possible. There is no guarantee that your lawyer will be able to achieve the exact results that you desire, but you certainly will have a better chance at achieving such results with him or her on your side.
A good negotiator can potentially convince your spouse:
- that an uncontested divorce is the best way to go
- to pay you spousal maintenance to avoid a costly contested divorce
- that a compromise is necessary regarding child custody and visitation
- that you should receive a certain asset to avoid costly litigation
- that your spouse should take responsibility for a certain liability or debt thereby releasing you from such responsibility
- that you and your spouse are better off reaching an agreed upon settlement outside of court than leave the results up to the court
If you think that your impending divorce could benefit from having a negotiating lawyer on your side, please call our toll-free number (866) 830-2064 to schedule your free divorce consultation now…